Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gender, Gender

This week I was more convinced of the importance of gender. If gender doesn't matter- why the distinction? This week, we discussed the hot topic of gender- whether or not it is innate or environmental, we discussed same-gender attraction and we discussed how gender roles affect the family.
I would first like to talk about some across-the-board likelihoods in each gender that we discussed in class and learned from our reading.

Females Tendencies:
Sensitive
Emotional
Observant to Detail
Map via Landmarks
Cooperate
Relationship Oriented
Better Connection

Male Tendencies:
Aggressive
Direction/North, South, East, West Mapping
Spatial Orientaiton
Competitive
Task Oriented
Self Reliant
Better Process

It was interesting as we talked about how well these qualities intertwine with one another.  I thought about how in marriage my husband has had to help me become more independent and task oriented and I in turn have provided a relationship focus he is learning from. It is truly the perfect combination.
Of course not every female fits into the above list and not every male fits into the Male list of characteristics. Does that make them some third gender?  No.  Males were created Males. Females were created females. Yet, when we meet a boy who say, plays with barbies or likes fashion we automatically refer to him as gay.  We label him before he even has the chance to make a choice for himself.
One thing in which I am certain. Our identity is that of a child of God.  That is first and foremost of anything we do in this life.
Too often gender roles are mislabeled in a conflict when they were created to work in equal harmony. I am grateful for traits that set me apart as a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment